Wednesday, June 21, 2006

You've come a long way, baby.

I'm off work this week. In theory, it was a mini-vacation to rest and lounge and basically do nothing requiring more effort than knitting or spinning or putting in a new DVD. In reality, it's turned into a late spring cleaning/redecorating binge. Something to do with feeling nesty, I think. I put up some new lighting in the living room, built a chair and table that I bought at IKEA, scrubbed the bathroom (yes, the entire bathroom), rearranged the library/bike storage/music room to make it into a dining room/library/music room, cleaned the kitchen (twice), and pulled out and reorganized one of my yarn and spinning stashes.

Guess what I found?

First ever handspun First handspun, hanked.


My first handspun. That's 2 ounces and just a bit more than 6 yards of Ashland Bay deep green variegated top, spun incredibly thick and thin on a drop spindle from eBay. Then, for some reason, I decided to ply it with bright orange thread. Maybe it was the first thread that came to hand? I'm not really sure about my thought process there.

So. Hooray for growth and change, hooray for nesting my way to a really cute apartment, and hooray for a fairly steep learning curve. Now, I've got a headache to vanquish, birdcages to clean, dishes to do, a brand new chair to make a place for, some clothes to give away and a dresser to build.

2 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger Martha said...

I just love finding evidence of progress like that! My first handspun was so long ago I have absolutely no idea what come of it. Just another fluff in the trash, I suspect. I'm so glad you kept yours!!

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger LaBean said...

You most certainly have come a long way! I starting spindling only about 6 weeks ago and I'm loving it! I think I've improved immensely in that time and I've got a long way to go. My first handspun looks the same as that and I'm proud to say, I made it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home