Monday, May 22, 2006

All Quiet on the Texan Front

Not much to report since last time. Between work and social engagements and other hobbies and the interruptions of life in general, I'm slowly spinning up that batch of dyed rovings. First Flush is complete, and here she is in indirect light (for truer color) and lazing atop my herbs in the last of the afternoon sun.

First Flush, complete FF afternoon sun

118 yards of 2 ply Falkland. I can't find my wpi gauge (again), but I'd guess heavy worsted weight with occasional forays into bulky and DK weight.

Now on the wheel is the Deep Sea roving, which is looking less like the deep sea and more mysterious as I spin it. I had decided to spin it and ply it, and once I had started spinning with plying in mind, obviously I decided it should be a singles yarn. Too late, it was too twisty for that. I only had 2 ounces left anyway, having sent the remainder of that dyelot plus some Romney in those colors along to a new home. I'll see how the plied yarn comes out (stunning, from what I can tell right now), and spin singles from this combination next time I dye.

I've just started spinning the second bobbin, but the first is sitting in my Spinning basket.workbasket with the leftover First Flush roving (destined for singles yarn). The little smidge of yarn you can see on the outside of the bobbin doesn't do the colors of this wool justice. It's really pretty stuff, even if it is just plain old domestic blend roving. Yes, that's my spinning "basket" you can see in the photo. A bright yellow plastic bowl that cost under $1 at the thrift store. When I first started spinning, I drafted several containers from the kitchen and other locations, and haven't really replaced any of them with anything nicer. I should have some pretty baskets or bowls to sit next to my sweet Miss Ashford, but I'd rather spend my money on a drum carder. Which, as a matter of fact, I just did! More on that when it gets here, though.

The only other fiber related business was the overdye of one of the undesirables from last time. You can see him in this photo in the lower right corner. I had wanted a jadey green like in this roving, but got that funky grey instead. A little leftover kelly green, a bit of judicious pouring and squishing, and a couple minutes in the microwave have transformed him into something much nicer. Still not what I had wanted, but better than what he was.

Marmajade

Other creative pursuits in my house this week have included bracelet making, stitch marker construction, bicycle maintenance, starting a new sweater, discovering my hatred of Magic Loop, frogging a sweater sleeve, starting over again, and inventing a new recipe for tofu. We're all about creativity here at Whorly Gig, so for all you tofu lovers, I present

Spicy Citrus Glazed Tofu:Spicy Orange Glazed Tofu
1 brick tofu
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp dried chile flakes
6 oz orange marmalade
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 scallions, chopped
handful of chopped peanuts

Fry tofu triangles as in Soy Glazed Tofu, and remove from the skillet.

Add garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes to the hot oil remaining in the pan and stir briefly until fragrant. Add marmalade, vinegar, soy sauce and stir well. Return tofu triangles to the pan and cook until sauce is reduced to a glaze, coating all the tofu triangles evenly. Remove from heat, sprinkle with scallions and peanuts, and serve with steamed brown rice and green vegetable of your choice (I can vouch for the tastiness of stir fried kale, steamed broccoli, and sugar snap peas).

2 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger Martha said...

Ooooh, yeah! Beautiful! And I have to run out and get some tofu now...yum! Thanks for helping Whorly Gig expand its creative boundaries!!

And...how the heck did you get brown to overdye to bright green?

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Martha said...

Oh. Duh. I just answered my own question by following your link; you didn't overdye the brown! (I'm waiting for the overdye of brown...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home