Thursday, June 15, 2006

Gotta Love Merino/Tencel...and a Sewing Digression

Remember the fabulously shiny Merino/Tencel roving? First I thought I'd spin it three ply (but not Navajo ply) and make socks...then I thought I just loved the singles as I spun them way too much to make socks. I started thinking how I could get the most out of my 110 gm portion...singles, of course. But as I spun I began to really REALLY want to see the colors blend with the plying so I ended up with this skein of 2 ply. Its fingering weight, 360 yds more or less.

What to make with it? I wanted to make a whole lot of things with it...a tank top, the Krista Tee...a huge shawl...but I only have 360 yards. Rats.

Then I started thinking about lace. Really lacy lace, or a little more body to it lace. I wanted to see some stockinette stitch in this shiny stuff, so I ruled out lacy lace. And started swatching.
Now you have to understand, I'm no lace genius. Usually I like to knit while visiting with people or listening to books on tape. But there are sick people in my family, the stress-o-meter is hovering around 6 or 7 most of the time, with occasional blips up to 10, and I'm thinking hm. Lace. Total concentration. Not such a bad idea.

This is what I came up with. My plan is to cast on with five repeats rather than 3, which will make a little stole 8 1/3 inches wide, with a little shoulder shaping (yeah...we'll see...) and it should come out just about right. You know, that shoulderette style? Joined at the end at right angles? That's what I'm thinking.
And because a girl can't knit all the time, and my partner is out of town (recipe for a project if I ever heard one) I bought this little group of fabrics to make knitting needle cases. I need three; one for straights, one for circular, and one for dpn's.
It is SO time to outgrow the jumble-in-a-box storage system I currently employ.

4 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why, you busy bee! You'll have those needle cases all done when I get home... and maybe the shawl too! ;-)

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Beth S. said...

Ooooh, such pretty lace. It would make a really gorgeous scarf, especially if you did two identical halves and grafted at the middle to make the ends match.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Martha said...

Its certainly true that half way through the little stole I might decide to have it be a scarf that can have a brooch applied; in that case I'll do it and graft like you suggest, Beth. Thanks!

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Jennie said...

Beautiful, beautiful. Where did you get the pattern?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home