Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Sudden WIPs

Over the weekend JoAnne and I did an art fair. Now is probably the time to mention that I'm a glass artist by day, and fiber is my spare-time pursuit. So. The weather was predicted to be crummy, which indeed it was. There we were in the rain, with a booth full of glass pens, knitting needles, garden orbs, framed little vegetables, and whatnot. Bored. Cold to the bone, and wet feet as well. Nothing to do but whine.

Wait!! Knitting needles! We had a huge supply of glass knitting needles, which probably needed to be demonstrated, right? Just for sales purposes? And I had thrown some yarn into my purse. It was homespun because all we have in the way of yarn at our house is homespun. So we spent the day pleasantly, sitting in our art fair chairs in our rainy booth, completely swaddled in warm wooly clothing, trying to stay warm and looking out over blooming gardens (this art fair was in a botanical garden), visiting and knitting. I knit the side to side fringed scarf out of leftover this-and-that, and JoAnne knit the lavendar/blue/green thick-thin yarn I had no idea what to do with. Occasionally a customer asked to try the needles, and we just handed over our knitting to them.

4 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger Amy said...

I SPY a backward loop cast on! I think that yarn J's working is crying out to be knitted on the bias. Those stripes would look amazing running diagonally.

And I loveLOVE your sideways self fringing scarf. I think I might start a yarn sampler scarf where I knit one or 2 rows of every yarn I make onto it. Well, maybe I should start 2, so that incompatible colors don't end up together... Wouldn't want to have an accidentally ugly scarf, now, would we?

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Newbie knitter J says:

Backward loop cast on? What's that?
and
Knitting on the bias? What's that?

I'm just knitting. ;-)

I suppose Martha can fill me in when she gets home from her trip. (I don't take very many stitches without her nearby.)

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Martha said...

Actually its a knitted cast on; I only know because I was there. And I taught JoAnne how to do that.

You're right, Amy, it would be good knit on the bias! Good idea!! Or maybe mitered.

The self-fringing garter stitch scarf depends on changing colors and yarns every single row. Its great. My friend Amy Anderson (knitting designer and creative genius) came up with it and I thought I'd do it since I have an assortment of leftovers that match. Unfortunately I ended up with an accidentally scratchy scarf...might have to rip to make mittens instead, or only use it for outerwear.

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger Sam said...

hi again, thanks forthe sock yarn advice. I finally figured out Navaho plying! I am really new at spinning so sometimes I forget obvious things. I wasn't pinching the yarn to keep the twist out of the loop long enough to pull the next loop through. Also I was having trouble getting it started, the single would unwind and pull apart. once I got going it was great. I love the look of long bands of colour, especially with hand dyed roving.I dyed some corriedale in shades of blue and purple, and made a two ply yarn that I liked, but I navaho plyed the left overs, and I like that better. Now I have to figure out how fine to spin the singles to get sock weight with three ply.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home