Friday, June 23, 2006

The Dark Arts

Remember that yarn I got from my One Skein Secret Pal? You know... the rebellious two skeins? Well. I now have an actual, bona fide Finished Object!

Ah, yes, its true. I've been practicing the Dark Art of Crochet. Surely you're not surprised? I already revealed that I sometimes sew... and this is a spinning blog, not a knitting blog, remember?? We here at Whorlygig do it all. And this little pillow is, in fact, made entirely with hand spun yarn. (Thanks, Secret Pal, I love it!)

I used up exactly every single scrap of yarn my pal sent me from both the skein and the pink/multicolored ball. Its destined for the bed, but before I could get it there....

It got the big-fat-kitty-cat stamp of approval from certified BFKC Ben.

Oops, now you've also seen evidence of the Dark Art of Embroidery! My mom is actually guilty of this particular object d'art, and it really is a beauty. I do confess, though, I did learn embroidery as a wee one at my mother's knee.

Oh, look! Ben has allowed a better look at the back of the pillow!

Pattern credit goes (loosely speaking) to the book 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans.

This is a pretty tempting book, if you ask me. Of course, I had to mix and match stitches, effects, colors, design elements and so on, but the beauty of crochet is that you can do that so easily, and without planning ahead.

Its so fun! And such a nice respite from planning small details of lace stoles. More on that later.

10 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Amy said...

That orange, cat-shaped pillow is awesome!! You should write a pattern for that one!

I'm really amazed with the embroidered pillow, too. At first I thought it was printed fabric. It's really great and modern. And the pink and brown of the crochet pillow! So lovely!

I do love that with crochet you can make changes with minimal planning, and ripping out seems so much less stressful. To me, it's much easier than knitting, but I really hate all-crochet garments, so I had to learn to knit!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger LaBean said...

Be not ashamed of your multi-talents. I crochet too, though not nearly as much as I used to now that I knit. I've dabbled in Polymer Clay(still do for little odds and ends), I spin(but of course!), and I'd like to try my hand at sewing once I get a nice good machine. I think the pillow is beautiful. It looks as if you sewed a pillow of fabric, stuffed it, and then crocheted the cover? Even if that's not how you did it, it sounds easy and like something I could do by hand!! ThangQ for the inspiration!

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment is for Amy:

Ah, but you see, there just is no pattern for Ben... they threw away the pattern after they made him.
;-)

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Reverse engineering, J! I need a fat marmalade cat who is too lazy to chase anything but cat treats so that my featherbabies will be safe from harm!

Or maybe an orange tabby bunny... I think I'm wearing Seamus down with all the cute bunny photos I send him in his email.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Martha said...

Be not deceived, Amy. Ben would nab your featherbabies in a heartbeat. He is quite athletic, but hides it well! It would appear that I should come up with a knitted BFKC. Maybe one could be scumbled up with a combination of knit and crochet, a la freeform knitting?

 
At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's beautiful! I love crochet, myself--it's faster than knitting and frankly easier. My sister-in-law crochets and refuses to learn how to knit, and considering how well she crochets I see her point. I'll have to show her your pillow; I know she'll want to try making one after she sees it.

(Oh, this is Saanan from LJ, btw--I'm back online at last!)

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Shelda said...

I love the phrase, "dark art of crochet." Actually, one of my best friends is a crocheuse, and I do know how to crochet. I'd just (usually) rather knit. Neat pillow, though.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Melissa Barton said...

This is just the greatest picture!
Color, fiber and kitten.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Meg said...

isnt it the ironic truth that onc eyou complete a fabulous project your kitty has to take refuge on it? ah, the ironies of animal attraction.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i crocheted first and still do-i'm kinda immersed in knitting right now because I'm learning to do it... and it's not easy. but what with the ever-growing stash of handspun and the garment versatility of knitting as opposed to crochet-i had to take the plunge.
Both are excellent to know. Both have their strengths. and they can complement each other brilliantly.

and your cat is a big mushy pootie face! He's ADORABLE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home