Thursday, July 06, 2006

Big Blue Fuzz, or (Gasp!) a Finished Object!

You heard it here first; Martha has actually finished something. Not just a pillow, either!

This is my first-ever handspun sweater! Big Blue Fuzz!

I spent quite awhile trying to figure out how to make fuzzy, light, mohair yarn. In the end I core spun it. This is the core: black merino/silk blend, drafted as finely as possible. After drafting, I wound it into little balls that I could spin directly from.


I dyed the mohair roving with a blue-purple progression, and allowed it to not penetrate evenly to the center of the tight roving. After dyeing, this stuff was frightening; you can see it on the right in this photo. I had to rip it lengthwise to get it to open up again, but then I was able to fluff it up, until it became just a bowl of total fluff. The center was lighter, brighter shades due to the imperfect penetration of the dye. I liked the effect, and will do it on purpose next time!


As I fed the black roving into the wheel (on the lowest twist whorl) I allowed it to pass through some fluff, which I tried to control to some degree. I didn't try to do any further drafting at all, just concentrated on getting the mohair on there before all the twist was in, so as to discourage shedding later.


Then I set the twist in the singles, and knit with that. I began to knit when I had maybe three skeins done, and I had completely figured out how to make the yarn. I am a big girl, and this sweater took 6 good sized skeins of yarn. Its a top-down raglan from Barbara Walker's book, and its boxy, with a lot of ease because I wanted it to fit easily over baggy long sleeved shirts. Knitting in one piece enabled me to make the variation in colors match up along the front of the sweater.

I thought I was going to make this cardigan with buttons, so I knit in buttonholes, but then I found these clasps and they gave just the right nordic touch...a tailored veneer to a big cloud of blue fuzzy soft stuff.

So to make the fabric have enough stability for clasps, I sewed grosgrain ribbon to the inside fronts and for good measure, also the neck edge just below the rolled collar. Then I stitched the clasps on, making sure they were attached to the ribbon, not just to knit. The buttonholes disappeared entirely in this process.

For the record, I strongly recommend the spin-as-you-knit method! You get to start knitting sooner which helps prevent boredom spinning, and you get to spin just the right amount of yarn! Perfect! Then the leftovers are still fiber, which you could use for just anything at all.

The trick of course is to buy plenty of fiber to start with and dye it all. I'm sure I can find tons of things to do with leftover blue mohair, unspun, right?

11 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a gorgeous sweater, and it looks so cozy and soft!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Looks awesome, and I loveLoveLOVE the clasps! I gasped at your clasps, actually. HA!

I now return to my life sentence of knitting things that must be sent away and I never get to enjoy. It's a pity, too, because the socks I'm working on are fitting me pretty damn awesomely...

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks so soft! Inspiring me to get spinning again. And I agree with Amy, those clasps are amazing.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

great project. Did you find any biasing in your fabric when using the singles?

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Jeri said...

What a beautiful, remarkable sweater! It looks incredibly soft and warm. Highly huggable sweater...The clasps and ribbon are brilliant!Ah, leftovers! Hat to match? Fingerless gloves? Fuzzy felted purse?
I'm glad to see it!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Martha said...

For Barbara: I haven't had any biasing at all. I did block the yarn before spinning, and its so fuzzy its knit on size 10 needles; maybe that helps.

For many: the clasps came from Hancock Fabrics in the button sections. I saw them and just had to have them!

For all: thanks for your kind compliments!! And that's my mom's garden I'm standing in...wow.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Barbara--I have knit lots of projects with singles and I haven't had a single incidence of biasing--even when I was knitting straight off the bobbin with my first wheelspun yarn in an effort to get biased fabric.

I think the tales of singles slant may have scared people a bit too much. In my experience, it would take a LOT more twist than I want to put into a yarn to make a biased fabric.

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful work! I myself love mohair, but have yet to try corespinning. I think your post may just give me the inspiration I need.

 
At 5:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful color, beautiful spinning, beautiful sweater...I'm very envious--in a good way ;-)
Lisa

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Becka said...

I read about your sweater in Ample and had to take a look....I LOVE it..the color, the clasps, everything!

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Meg said...

absolutely beautiful! the color is amazing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home