Thursday, August 30, 2007

On and Off the Needles

Well, that Amy Anderson is a total genius. If your LYS doesn't carry her patterns yet, you should probably run right down there and tell them they should. Not only is she a genius, she's also a friend mine. But really, she's also a design genius.



This scarf is one of her patterns; its beauty and simplicity is just amazing. You need one skein of handpainted yarn, and one skein of some neutral color that co-ordinates with the handpaint, and then the magic happens. So...not quite believing in the magic, I had a skein I dyed that was just leaving me totally cold. I was so unimpressed with it that I really had no idea what to do with it. I swatched it for a sweater, and just hated it. So...I dyed another skein a color that would go with every color in the unloved skein, and....




Voila! The magic happened. I'm so stunned by the colors that came up in this scarf, I can hardly find words to tell you, not to mention that now I can't imagine how I could have hated this yarn. But...I swear!! I had no idea these colors were in there! Melon, blue, lavendar, dusty purple, pumpkin...they're all in there. Ok, yeah, I did do the dye job. But somehow it just all looked like red-brown mud before I made The Scarf. I can't recommend this scarf pattern enough. Its fun to knit, mindless, and gorgeous.



And here it is. Look Ma, No Purling, designed by Amy E. Anderson. Magic, I tell you.



Ok...enough about the scarf. Here's the update on the Boobalicious Tank Top, which I really wish they had named something thats less embarrasing to type on my blog. But so be it, I didn't name it.

Its not done...but its way over half done. Yes, you're right, its nearly fall and I won't be wearing it much this year, but considering I didn't think I'd even finish the spinning this year, I'm pretty happy about it. And the fabric is very soft and drapey. However, I'm not absolutely positive it won't pill. That would be too bad, but...we'll just have to see.
And last but not least, I couldn't resist using up the rest of my unmatched leftover singles on a couple more cat toys. These have fleece with catnip stuffed inside, and the kitties love them.

3 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Blogger textilejunkie said...

That scarf is beautiful. Are her patterns available at any online stockist? Because all of the sudden I feel I need it now :)

 
At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.blackberry-ridge.com/lmnopurl.htm sells the pattern. I agree, it's gorgeous!

 
At 3:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came surfing back to this blog entry when I found myself stuck with a yarn I don't love. Was about to overdye it when I remembered your ingenious solution. Waiting for my neutral to dry so I can get started knitting it up. Thanks for the inspiration.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home