Monday, January 08, 2007

Twin Colds, Sister Skeins

You know, I really think that when both of us are sick for more than three overlapping days, someone ( God perhaps, or someone from The Heavenly Infimary...I don't know. Someone!) should really send in a maid. We can each take care of ourselves in a pinch, but who the heck is going to cook, do the dishes, move the laundry along, and vacuum the sneeze-inducing cat hair and multiplying dust bunnies? Not to mention pick up kleenexes, take the dog to the dogpark, feed the cat, let the chickens out, and change the sheets?

Sadly, all week, no maid appeared. Enough said about the state of our house.

And right in the middle of illness, piling up laundry, sneezes, snot, and the need to take down the Christmas tree, I realized I hadn't finished a holiday gift for my two indispensible and dear glassblowing helper-buddies and close friends! Yikes! My (admittedly unconventional) plan for this year is to give them both yarn, since one knits and the other aspires to knit. For their upcoming birthdays, I can give them glass knitting needles to go with the well-past-Christmas yarn.

So, in a rush, and on the first day I could get out of bed and actually do anything at all, I plied up this alpaca/merino yarn. The alpaca is the grey, and the merino is white.

A quick dye job in the kitchen was undertaken on the very same day. I wanted to make one skein blue and brown to possibly go with one winter coat, and the other skein to be red/orange and brown to hopefully go with the other winter coat. Here you see the blue/brown batch just before microwaving.

For the detail-oriented and curious among you, I use Country Classics dye for its simplicity of use and reasonable price. I just mix some random small amount with hot water, dilute it or mix colors until I like the looks of a drop of it on a white paper towel, and pour/splash it onto the presoaked yarn. (presoak in hot water with syntropol and vinegar) Then I put it in a refrigerator container used for this purpose only, and microwave it for maybe 8 minutes. Occasionally I microwave for longer, depending on how much water and yarn is in the container. It all has to get pretty hot.

The trick is to let it then cool to no more than lukewarm, to finish taking up the dye. I often turn the yarn over after maybe 15 minutes on the counter, but don't rinse till nearly cool.
Then when the skeins are rinsed, I take them to the washing machine and put them through a spin cycle to get them mostly dry. Hanging on the shower curtain rod finishes off the job.

And here are the finished skeins. Sadly, I didn't get to give them at our appointed get-together time because we were too sick to keep the date. But that's probably just as well; its taking them a long time to dry all the way in the wet air created by our constantly-running humidifier.

But the sun is shining today, and its warm out (frightening and amazing for Wisconsin!) so the windows are open for fresh air, and I'm thinking Spinning Thoughts. This must be a sign of recovery! Maybe I'll fold the laundry before doing any projects, though, since the maid still hasn't arrived. And then maybe a nap...

4 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post. Beautiful yarn. Nasty cold. Unreliable maids! (yet didn't we do pretty well without them, my dear?)

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are the house faeries when you need them? Get well soon, and thanks for yesterday's compliment :)

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Very pretty dyed yarn!! Hope you feel better soon. :)

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I just found your blog yesterday! Your spinning is incredible! I, too, knit and spin at BBR in Mt. Horeb and also knit at the Sow's Ear as often as I can get there! We may have even met before! Small world!

Sara in Platteville

 

Post a Comment

<< Home